Approved: May 20, 2010 by Board Chair Jon Sawatsky
Revised: June 15, 2016 by Library Board
Jake Epp Library strives to provide everyone with fair and equitable access to a wide range of library services in a welcoming environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. Everyone has the right to equal treatment with respect to the access and use of the Library’s services and facilities in accordance to the Manitoba Human Rights Code.
Discrimination and harassment will not be tolerated under any circumstances. These rules are intended to prevent such conduct and to ensure the dignity and safety of all and to maintain the security of library property without disruption to library services.
Staff make every effort to apply these rules in a fair, dignified and positive manner for the benefit of all. We ask your cooperation in maintaining a welcoming environment conducive to study and enjoyable use of the Library.
Follow the policies and procedures that have been developed for the fair and consistent delivery of our services.
- Be polite and civil to library staff and other patrons
- Violent, threatening, abusive, discriminatory or harassing language or conduct of any kind is not allowed.
- Damage, misuse, or theft of library materials, equipment and property is not allowed.
- Disruptive behavior including noise, skateboarding, rollerblading, or running is not allowed. Speak and work at a soft volume. Minimize distracting sounds. This includes loud or intrusive phone calls, or loud use of personal devices.
- Dress appropriately: shoes and shirt must be worn.
- Respect individuals with sensitivities to scents and limit the use of fragrances. This includes exhibiting personal hygiene which is offensive and/or a health risk to others.
- Leave the library promptly at closing time and when requested to do so in emergency situations.
- Do not leave children requiring supervision unattended. Children under the age of six (6) may not use computers without parental supervision.
- Keep your belongings safe with you. The Library is not responsible for personal belongings.
- Only service animals are allowed in the building.
- Food and drink are only allowed in designated areas.
- Library materials are not allowed in the public washrooms.
- Members of the public must open all bags, books and papers for inspection if requested by the staff.
- Use of public computers or public wifi for pornography or other restrictions in the Internet policy will result in loss of library privileges/access.
- Being under the influence of alcohol of illegal substances is not allowed.
- Selling, using, or possessing alcohol or illegal substances is not allowed.
- Use library furniture, equipment, washrooms and property (properly) for their intended purposes only.
- Members of the public may not make requests for service based on prohibited grounds of discrimination under the Human Rights Code.
- Members of the public may only use authorized entrances and exits and are not allowed in “Staff Only” areas without permission.
- Posting notices, distributing circulars or petitions, soliciting or engaging in any commercial activity on library property must not be conducted without prior written approval of the library.
- Photographing, filming or video recording on library property must not be conducted without prior written approval of the library.
- An individual has the right to appeal his or her exclusion as described in the Rules of Conduct – Appeals Policy.
Any behaviour that does not support a welcoming environment and/or violates the Library Code of Conduct may result in cost-recovery charges, suspension of library privileges, exclusion from the Library and prosecution. These rules have been approved by the Jake Epp Library Board.